Sunday, October 2, 2011

Austin Fall, A Four Seasons Perspective

This is my first fall in a place that does not seem to have four seasons. Austin tends toward the south of the equator weather continuum that has a wet and dry season, a warm and hot season. Still the city likes to dress itself in the fall colors of New England like all other American cities across the nation. September 1st in 100 degree heat the front of the grocery store was loaded up with pumpkins and gourds of all shapes and sizes. A tease as summer has continued into October now. I wonder why the rest of the nation wants to copy New England seasonal traditions? Perhaps it is because that is where the colonizing began?

I long for sweater weather, pumpkin carving the harvest festivals and fresh apple cider of my younger life in WA and CT. Austin has other plans for my family and me. It's exciting to be able to go out in the middle of the afternoon without feeling like you are melting, a celebration when hoodies and jeans are in order for early mornings at the park. We are slowly, at a snails pace, creeping out of summer and into what this climate calls the fall. What would a regional fall actually look like? In some ways it’s like a second spring, rain hopefully, a second harvest of all vegetables. At the farmers market we can get eggplant, tomatoes, arugula, all veggies I associate with deep summer now making a regular appearance in October. A sagey looking plant is starting to bloom purple fragrant flowers along with the forever-blooming crepe myrtle. We start to consider camping now; in WA I would be putting away the camping equipment till next spring.

It is a physical and mental adjustment moving to a new climate. I associate this weather with travel to far-flung destinations, Brasil and Ecuador especially, except now I am still in the states. I was ready for the adventure moving here and feeling the sun touch my skin each day. In my heart I am starting to claim gnarled live oak trees and limestone creek beds as a part of me. Still when I prey images of the Northwest are my grounding place. Rosemary covered in raindrops, gathering waters of the Puget Sound, Mount Rainer all pink at sunset and deep ancient wilderness in the North Cascades.

I want to see a regional Christmas celebration here that does not involve a decorated pine tree and snowy home all dolled up Norman Rockwell style. My guess is the celebration would mimic Mexico more. I want to learn this and apply it to our festivities this year. I have heard stories of Christmas trees and fake snow in Southern California and am starting to understand why people try to make the illusion now that I live here.

I am not sure where we will end up raising Sweetpea but for now I wonder if she will have memories of this weather, will it coat her childhood the way my New England home did? Will she have memories of swimming everyday and not leaving the house between 2-6pm all summer long? Austin has a surprise around every corner for us. I look forward to the next few months and seeing how different it will be to have a sunny winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment