Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Goal Setting For The New Year



For the past four years I have been doing an exercise in goal setting as the New Year approaches. It has informed what my year has looked like. It has shaped the flow of my work patterns and has ultimately led to some pretty magical things. The formula I use for goal setting is unique and feels different then setting resolutions. Resolutions are wonderful ways to get pumped about the New Year. What I notice though, is they fizzle out with time. It is hard to stick to a new year’s resolution in June. Goal setting however has a different flavor, the goals can consistently be reworked into whatever seasons you are in and are open to re-evaluation at any time.

Sounds good doesn’t it?

Since starting goal setting I moved, had another baby, and got my writing published in an online magazine. While doing back yard nature meditation, one of my goals, I gained perspective on what I truly wanted to do with my career. I left my job to start my own business. I have also prioritized my hobbies and things I want to do just for me, like writing and learning to knit.

Here are some steps to guide you through my ritual of goal setting.


Painting by Liga Lazdina

Find a Friend
The first place to start is by finding a friend. A friend is a way to keep you honest in your goal setting. A friend’s perspective helps you to set realistic goals for your life while also giving you the encouragement you need to pull off big things. Not all friends are great for this so choose wisely. Pick someone you trust that has good listening skills. This friend could be a long distance friend. You can set up online skype goal conversations.  Don’t be limited by requiring that the friend lives in your town or city.

Set a Date and Plan
After finding a buddy interested in doing this with you set aside at least three hours for a  “goal date” in the afternoon sometime after Christmas. If you don’t have three hours to spare in one day stretch the date out over a period of a week. Pick a time when you will not feel rushed.  Items to bring to your goal date include snacks, tea, notebooks, colored pencils or markers, old packing labels or paper to cut up and a hole punch and string. Consider this your big picture thinking time. Before this date I often like to have my initial brainstorm for my goals done. I do this while walking or cleaning. These are my two thinking times where big ideas come out. I often scribble them down in my notebook or put them in the notes in my phone.  When I come to the date I have an idea of what I want to do and it gets me ready for the big brainstorm.


Talk and Listen
At your goal date take turns listening to each other about the things you want to manifest this year. This looks like one person giving their full attention to the other person without interrupting them or offering advice. A timer on your phone should be set to help ensure that each person gets the same amount of time. I often set the timer for 20 minutes each. Decide who goes first and switch when the timer goes off. For the person talking, you can do this however works best for you. Some people like to work back wards and start by discussing where they want to end up by the end of the following year. Some like to use the attention to just brainstorm about the things they want to see in their life. Some like to share the history of the previous year to gain perspective on what they want for this new one. All are valid and most likely you will do a combination of all these things.
Painting by Nora MacPhail
Take a Break
After the first forty minutes take a snack break, bathroom, maybe even go for a short walk around the block if you are feeling extra luxurious around time. Don’t let the break go too long though; twenty minutes should be enough to clear your head.

Writing Brainstorm
The next step is a writing brainstorm. Both goal setters get out their notebooks and write for twenty minutes about the things they want to manifest over the next year. Take from your pre-meeting notes, your time talking to your goal partner and any new thoughts you had during the break. I find it’s best to let your self write it all out and not worry about whether or not its practical or not concise enough, editing comes later. This exercise is about getting the ideas on the page. This can be a magical step as you see your goals lay out before you, each one blossoming into a new perspective or project.

Compare Notes
After your writing brainstorm is complete you can now let the editor in, take ten more minutes by yourself and look over what you have written. Circle the parts that stand out the most, the ones that have the most charge behind them.  In your writing find a hand full of goals that seem doable this year that speak to what you want for your life and help deepen what you have already.

Compare Again
Do another twenty-minute share each. This time when you are listener you can also offer advice or perspective. If the talking person needs some guidance this is a good time to give some words of encouragement. Hopefully at this stage you will be able to easily see where you want to put your energy in the following year. You can write out the goals on a clean sheet of paper during your talking time to be able to easily see them.

Take a Short Break
Take a short break, ten minutes total, than come back together for making goal art. This is the fun part of goal setting and should not be overlooked in importance. Creating goal art gives you a little treat for all your hard work. It’s a reward and it creates something eye catching you want to look at through out your year.

Goal Art
Take twenty minutes and make your art together. The art I make involves taking old packing labels and creating a taggie. This looks like a little book that ties together with small pictures and words describing each goal for the year on each tag. I find keeping the wording simple is best. Choose an image that best describes the goal and gets you exhilarated about it. These taggies can be as simple or complicated as you like just as long as they are eye catching and make you feel excited about your goals. I return to my goal taggie throughout the year. I keep it by my desk as a reminder of all the things I want to do and all that I have already accomplished. The goal taggie keeps you honest and is also cute.  Share your goal taggies at the end of the time. You are now done with your date.

Follow Up
Follow up should happen with your goal buddy throughout the year. I recommend meeting every three months to check in with your goals. Figure out what is hard, what might need tweaking, offer advice to your fellow goal setter. When you get together make it fun, the whole point of goal setting is to feel empowered by life and help each other out. This is not to criticize or make you feel bad or that you don’t do enough. If the goals are not working figure out what could work. Meet at a café, bring your taggies and enjoy your self. You can use the model of taking turns giving each other attention, or be less structured during these meet ups. This is about sharing love, wisdom and perspective and manifesting the world you want to be in.

This year my focus is on living more seasonally so I broke my goal taggie into what I wanted to do in each season. I am also constantly experimenting with how to best focus my energy. Good luck with goal setting and let me know how it goes.

 

2 comments:

  1. So when are you going to publish this great beginning or middle of a book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just googled this to find this post because it was awesome, as is this blog!

    ReplyDelete